[fpc-pascal] FPC v.3.0 roadmap

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 11 09:30:02 CET 2015

Am 11.01.2015 04:05 schrieb "Bee" <bee.ography at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> This morning I saw FPC's SVN was already marked for v.3.0. There must be
some reasons why it's not marked for v.2.8 (as successor for currently
v.2.6). May I ask... what are the targets and roadmap for FPC v.3.0?

> When I looked at the bugtracker, I can't see anything useful, at least to
me. When I searched the wiki, I only see the roadmap for Lazarus. CMIIW.

We don't have "targets" or a "roadmap" for FPC as we simply take what's
there and prepare it for release.
It was decided that the changes the compiler experienced since 2.6 are big
enough to increase the major version from 2 to 3. Btw: the successor of 2.8
would not necessarily be 3.0, but can also be 2.10. (the FPC_FULLVERSION
define would support this as it uses leading zeros for values < 10).

Regards,
Sven