[fpc-pascal] FormatSettings not updated in Linux

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jan 2 20:36:39 CET 2015

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> After just having spent 2 days debugging an issue in fcl-res that could
> have been avoided by just using the assembler instead of by
> reimplementing object writers from scratch,

I do like the object writers mostly from a support viewpoint. The FPC
as-a-system is a lot more equal and deterministic across installations, and
one or several dimensions from versioning matrix disappear.  Moreover there
is hope to avoid having long time unfixable issues like:

http://www.freepascal.org/faq.var#unix-ld219

> I'm even more strengthened in my conviction that it is a mistake trying to
> implement and reimplement everything just to make cross-compiling somewhat
> easier,

> or to avoid libc version compatibility problems on Linux that were
> common 15 years ago.

The libc discussion is IMHO different. Last week, the FPC_USE_LIBC became
11 years old. There are hardly user experiences on Linux. (admitted, usually
some bugs have accumulated causing a first movers disadvantage).

Frankly, I guess nobody is really that interested, and the current solution
works fine enough.