[fpc-pascal] Some features for FPC 3.0?

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 20:43:51 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org>
wrote:

> Am 17.02.2015 um 19:20 schrieb silvioprog:
> >
> > The problem is that FPC take a lot of time to release new versions. If
> there was a version (RCs)
> > every six months it would help a lot.
>
> The point is: it takes a lot of time to prepare and test the releases and
> also to coordinate the
> efforts.

Yes. But I have a question: who does the tests? Only the FPC core and
advanced programmers?! =/

My suggestion is to allow any programmer to test the new compiler features.
If more people can test it, more chances to release a stable version.

> > Today I'm 32 years old, and probably I'll see the FPC 3.0 be released
> when I'm 33 years old. FPC 4.0
> > -> 40 years old. FPC 5.0 -> I will be already retired. =D
> >
> > Just suggestions. I follow other programmer tools, and they don't take
> much time to release new
> > versions, and some of them have fewer programmers that FPC community. =/
>
> Which of them are multiplatform (~25) and do binary releases?

Most of them (Nginx; Chrome; VirtualBox; SMPlayer; WGet; SmartGIT ...). I
know that release a new version of a compiler is more complex than a common
tool, but it take a long time to release a version of any tool, discourages
who is following it.

My suggestion is just: to make easier to test, for any programmer. E.g:

- fpc-3.0.0-beta1/beta2 +/-jan/feb
- fpc-3.0.0-RC1/RC2 +/-may/jun
- fpc-3.0.0-RC3/fpc-3.0.0-stable +/-dec.

Yes, it is hard to do, but IMHO it is necessary.

--
Silvio Clécio