[fpc-pascal] New Get Lazarus Initiative

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Feb 4 09:06:59 CET 2015

On 04/02/15 06:00, Anthony Walter wrote:
> The get Lazarus initiative aims to an reintroduce Lazarus to the
> software development world. To aide in this endeavor we've created our
> own special Lazarus bundles for Windows, Mac, and Linux with test
> versions of Free Pascal 3.0 Lazarus 1.4.

Thank you for this initiative, but please do not say on your website
that you are providing FPC 3.0, as it does not yet exist. In one place
it does say "test version", but not everywhere, and all test versions
have (or definitely should have) different version numbers than 3.0:
either 2.7.1 or 3.0.1 (and possibly a 3.0rc1, 3.0rc2, ...).

There will only be one actual version 3.0, and that will be the final,
official release. Doing so helps in particular with bug reports, as we
will never have to ask "are you using the official release or a snapshot
from before or after". Also, if people report bugs for your version, it
would be useful if you could mention from which revision their sources
are built so they can say so on the bug tracker.

Jonas