[fpc-pascal] Assigning string constant to a WideString and the Format function

Lubos Pintes lubos.pintes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 13:44:54 CET 2015

Hello,
Here is a minimal program, it doesn't work as I expected either because
there is a bug somewhere in the RTL, or, more probably, I misunderstood
something.
Basically, I am reading an UTF-8 encoded text from stdin, and collecting
it in a WideChar array. I am assigning UTF-8 string to a WideString, and
then collecting chars from it into the mentioned array.
Then I am using a SetString procedure to recreate the WideString from
collected chars.
Here is a simple program which demonstrates this:

program a;
{$mode delphi}

uses SysUtils;

var
   U: UTF8String;
   S, W: WideString;

begin
   U := 'Hello';
   W := U;
   SetString(S, @W[1], Length(W));
   W := Format(WideString('%s'), [S]);
   Writeln(W);
end.

Dňa 23. 12. 2015 o 17:29 Mark Morgan Lloyd napísal(a):