[fpc-pascal] Lack of 'volatile' a serious issue. Any other such caveats?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 19 09:18:50 CET 2015

Am 18.12.2015 um 12:16 schrieb R. Diez:

> I see. Based on that information, and on the issue of function calls
> crossing units, I guess you could rephrase that in much less-friendly
> way. I'm playing evil advocate now: "FreePascal is so simple it can only
> optimise properly the kind of hand-written tight loops that you normally
> find in artificial benchmarks."  }8-)

Actually, it is the other way round: FPC is not interested in
optimziations taking a lot of time and mainly having a purpose in
artifical benchmarks. E.g. spending a lot of time in optimizing globals
variable access is for real world programs normally not really usefull
as the number of global variables in good programs is really low.

Of course, if you are interested in highly optimized code squeezing out
every processor cycle, you do not care about compilation times and you
are only interested in embedded programming, FPC is not the right tool
for you and this will not change.