[fpc-pascal] FPC Unicode / CodePage aware strings

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Dec 10 13:33:21 CET 2015

Mattias Gaertner wrote on Thu, 10 Dec 2015:

> If you have a working Unicode solution there is no reason to abandon it.

Exactly. There is absolutely no point in changing your code to
unicodestring in reaction to these changes (nor in reaction to future
changes an sich, if we can help it). There's not even any point to
changing your code at all in many cases. And all functionality that
has been added is indeed also available when using single byte
strings, as explained on the FPC_Unicode_support page.

The main reason so few RTL-level features are supported yet is exactly
because it takes a lot of planning and energy to keep functionality as
backward compatible as possible. If we had just abandoned backward
compatibility and made everything UTF-16 only, we would probably have
finished a long time ago.

Jonas