[fpc-pascal] I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:02:54 CET 2015

Am 03.12.2015 06:44 schrieb "Anthony Walter" <sysrpl at gmail.com>:

> I thought I read on this list somewhere that FPC version 3.0 would be
able to compile itself?

> I just checked out FPC svn branch fixes 3 0 (version 3.0.1), built using
FPC 2.6.4, then check out FPC 3.0 again to another directory after setting
my compiler environment to my working 3.0.

> When I try to make the freshly checked out 3.0 with the one I just built
I get this message:

> Makefile:2790: *** The only supported starting compiler version is 2.6.4.
You are trying to build with 3.0.1..  Stop.

The exact same revision can indeed build itself (after all that's what
happens during "make all" anyway), but the makefile can't differentiate the
revision. For it 3.0.1 of revision A is the same as 3.0.1 of revision B.
Thus we only check for the version and there for the previous release. This
specific case would thus be a valid reason to use the
OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 parameter that you'll need to pass to make then.

Regards,
Sven