[fpc-pascal] FPC 3.0.0-rc1 release

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Aug 31 16:25:38 CEST 2015

Martin Schreiber wrote:
> On Monday 31 August 2015 13:00:59 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jonas, that fixes it. To wrap this up and for the benefit of
>> anybody getting here via Google: this is for a Raspeberry Pi with
>> 2014-era Raspbian.
>>
>> Binaries from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mseide-msegui/files/fpcarm/
>>
>> Corresponding sources from
>> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/branches/fixes_3_0  using svn co
>>
>> Build command line: make NO_GDB=1 OPT='-FL/lib/ld-linux.so.3
>> -Fl/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.6.3 -Fl/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi'
>> all  with OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 if necessary, and my preference is to
>> also use -O- -gl -Xs- for ease of debugging.
>>
>> Install command line: sudo OPT='-FL/lib/ld-linux.so.3
>> -Fl/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.6.3 -Fl/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi'
>> make install
>>
> How it worked for me with a Raspbian image from last week from here:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
>
> In my Raspbian RPi 1 model B rev2 I installed FPC 2.6.0 by
> "
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install fpc
> "
>
> Then I extracted fpc_eabihf_3_0_1.tar.gz from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mseide-msegui/files/fpcarm/ to /home/pi/fpc.
> cd to the svn fixes_3_0 checkout,
> "
> make PP=/home/pi/fpc/3_0/eabihf/lib/fpc/3.0.1/ppcarm OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 all
> "

As I've said already- more than once- the Raspbian version I'd got dated
from 2014 and an attempt to load 2.6.0 on it failed due to various
missing/held packages. An attempt to do an update/upgrade/dist-upgrade
also failed, leaving it in a broken state with e.g. the display manager
deinstalled and not installable. So I'm very grateful for Jonas's help
and patience, when he could easily have told me to get lost and fix the
system software.

I anticipate that once I'm working from the current (2015-05-05)
Raspbian that things will be much easier. However it looks as though the
people who put the older version together left it in a state where the
metadata was broken or inconsistent, which was possibly unavoidable
taking into account that source.list and sources.list.d identify three
distinct repositories (debian.net, qmh-project.org and raspberrypi.org).

Incidentally (and I hope that the ML managers will excuse the
digression), if anybody has a plugtop USB PSU badged "MW" with their Rpi
I strongly suggest checking that it's robustly assembled: one of these
came apart when I tried to unplug it and I found that it was held
together only by silicone RTV sealant. Scraping the gunge off and gluing
properly appears to have improved reliability, presumably by improving
heat dissipation.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk