[fpc-pascal] Issue with Linking

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 20 18:52:32 CEST 2015

On 20/08/15 18:25, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2015-08-20 16:01, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> > Yes, it is. Are you certain that this is with the system-installed
>> > compiler
> My working FPC 2.6.0 and 2.6.2 also says "Linux for ARMEL".
>
> Incidentally, if I do 'sudo apt-get install <some_package>' I see apt
> output like "Get: .... <some_package> armel ...."
> It can be any package like 'git', 'mc' etc.  My Raspbian is from 2012 -
> no idea how to find out the exact version number.

Ok, in that case it seems that there are in fact non-hard float versions
of Raspbian. Your compiler may work because you also installed the ARMEL
version of libc6-dev.

That's another thing:
* Chris may also to solve his problem by installing the ARMEL version of
libc6-dev (package name: libc6-dev-armel )
* however, if he then compiles his program and gives the compiled binary
to a customer, it may not work if they are using an ARM hard-float
installation (unless they also install the libc6-dev-armel package). Of
course, if compiles it for hard float and the customer has a softfp
system, it will also cause problems.

So maybe it would be useful to first determine whether the customer has
an armel or armhf system.

Jonas