[fpc-pascal] which GUI (noob)

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:28:33 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Peter <peter at pblackman.plus.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/15 15:41, Gour wrote:
> I would advise anyway against using LCL (Qt) on Linux at the moment.
> I understand its based on Qt4, and Qt4 is being dropped in favour of
> Qt5. At the very least, check how long your distribution will be
> supporting Qt4.
>
> http://perezmeyer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/early-announce-qt4-removal-in-jessie1.html

Qt4 may be deprecated but it will not be removed any time soon.
Was the announcement made at 1. of April? No it wasn't.
Anyway the major distros will support QT4 for a long time. Right now I
am using OpenSuse Tumbleweed rolling distro with KDE Plasma 5 desktop.
KDE is the biggest project using QT. They still need QT4 for many
applications in Plasma 5.
After many years when QT4 is removed, Lazarus LCL will already support
QT5 bindings. Alpha version of the bindings already exist.
The maintainer of LCL-QT, Zeljko, uses it for his own business. I am
pretty sure this is a safe path for anybody.
The sentence "I would advise anyway against using LCL (Qt) on Linux at
the moment" is plain FUD and nonsense.

> I don't think you will get a complete GTK3 in the LCL either at the
> moment. Its 'alpha' status according to the wiki.

LCL-GTK3 is alpha, yes. It needs contributors. Anybody?

Juha