[fpc-pascal] Reproducible code: DLL calling Firebird crashes

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 22:15:46 CEST 2014

Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 29/09/2014 17:41, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Reinier Olislagers wrote:

>>> As the demo indicates, that does work (undefine CRASH).
>>>
>>> What I would like to know what is the cause of this problem - dlls being
>>> loaded before some kind - what kind? - of initialization is complete?
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'll keep digging; probably first looking at geting postgresql
>>> support in anyway.
>> No, your example shows an implicit initialisation when the backend is
>> accessed.
> Agreed... but as that code works there's no reason to suspect your
> approach won't work & my finished program sucesfully uses your approach ;)
>
> Re bug report: agreed. I'll raise it.

Jose's comment about not (in effect) putting TIBConnection.Create() in
the initialisation block of a program (hence of a DLL or .so) is
interesting. Assuming that he is correct I think it's worth wondering
/why/ he's correct, and if that is in fact a symptom of something wrong
with the FPC initialisation sequence.

If he's correct, I'd expect the problem to persist even if your
businesslayer DLL were loaded on-demand rather than at the whim of the
OS: the binary state of the DLL/so in memory would be inappropriate for
reliable operation.

If you still have problems when you call TIBConnection.Create() after
all initialisation is complete, then you need to consider whether any
state in the DLL/so has to be transferred to the main program. Hopefully
you don't need to get involved with that.

A final thing to consider is that if there is an asynchronous element in
database initialisation it could end up being difficult for the main
program to check that the DLL/so was ready to use.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk