[fpc-pascal] Optimal number of threads for SMP

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 21:36:18 CEST 2014

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Hyperthreading doubles the execution stream logic, so that one core can
> take two incoming streams of instructions. The idea is that when one thread
> stalls, or executes unoptimal code, the other thread can run, increasing
> utilization. But that is more something like 10%, not doubling it.

I'd expect somewhat better than 10%, but another complicating factor is
that it will depend on the cache architecture. Also in the general case
some architectures can manage a lot of integer threads but have a
massive bottleneck if multiple threads try to do floating point operations.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk