[fpc-pascal] Unhandled Exception

Steve Gatenby steveg at nevets.com.au
Tue Sep 9 04:22:03 CEST 2014

On 09/09/14 11:44, Dennis Poon wrote:

> Steve Gatenby wrote:
>> I have an intermittant exception in my Lazarus app (Access violation)
>> My app also uses a freepascal library - I think the problem is within it
>>
>> Can anybody suggest the best way to narrow this down to a unit /
>> function / line ?
>> I believe I have the Frame stack captured, but have no idea what to
>> do with it
>>
>> I have read the wiki on logging exceptions, but this seems to only
>> give me address info, and I cant figure how to translate this to
>> something useful
>>
>> Thanks - SteveG
>>
> May I ask whether you have tried enabling the debugger option?
>   Project Options->Debugging->Generate Debug info for GDB
> and then run the app within Lazarus.
> When the AV occurs, it shall stop within lazarus and you can then go
> to View->Debug Windows->Call Stacks to see where the AV occur.
>
> Dennis

I do have it enabled, but haven't been able to catch it on my
development machine
(seems to happen mainly on the older production machines using our app)

I am hoping to include code within our app to collect enough info to
enable me to backtrace it somehow.
Do you know if it is possible to gather information at the failure point
(global exception handler) of a production system, and then input this
to gdb (possibly on another machine) ?

Thanks for your thoughts