[fpc-pascal] Why TSdfDataSet doesn't simply return FCurRec as RecNo?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Fri Oct 31 10:06:37 CET 2014

El 30/10/14 a les 22:44, Michael Van Canneyt ha escrit:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
>> Easy: Some systems use the recno as some sort of 'bookmark'. And some
>> people insist that this is the correct behaviour for a dataset. (Note

Since a dataset provides GetBookmark, GotoBookmark and FreeBookmark I
always thought that was the correct procedure to, well, set a bookmark ;-)

>> that for TBufDataset a call to recno is really slow, as it has to
>> iterate over all records to get the correct recno.)

> I understand why the GetRecNo is there, just not why it is implemented
> as it is in TSDFDataset.
> (which is what I was investigating)
>
>> But that TDBGrid uses the recno is troublesome... But I don't see a
>> better solution.
>
> Delphi DBGrid does not use recno, so it must be possible... AFAIK
> TDatalink has special provisions to provide a window buffer.

Well, if you "fix" the dbgrid not to use RecNo, I'm still left with my
original problem of knowing if I'm positioned at the first or the last
record (specifically for a TSdfDataset, where FCurRec is the correct
answer, and I still think it would be the correct value for RecNo).

Bye
--
Luca