[fpc-pascal] cocoa programming without objective-pascal mode

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 05:00:43 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Bee <bee.ography at gmail.com> wrote:

> Take a look at Delphi. From a single source code base, we can compile it
> for Windows and Mac. Hardly any changes are required. But if you want to
> target Mac using FPC, I believe you have to use objective-pascal to access
> Cocoa API which is not compatible with Windows API. That's where the cross
> platform breaks. Am I right? CMIIW.
>
> Another example, take a look at Oxygene --another pascal language variant
> by RemObjects-- is able to target OSX, iOS, .Net, Mono, and Android
> natively without ruining their pascal syntax. Why can't FPC be like that? I
> don't understand because I'm not a compiler guy. :)

If you code using LCL APIs only then you'll achieve the desired effect:
* you'll get an application that can compile on different platforms without
any code changes (write once, compile anywhere)
* you won't need to use objective-pascal code.

Just don't bother yourself with "cocoa api" don't go too specific.

thanks,
Dmitry