[fpc-pascal] Typinfo incompatibilities between FPC and Delphi

Maciej Izak hnb.code at gmail.com
Sat May 31 14:24:56 CEST 2014

> In FPC's TPropInfo the PropType field is PTypeInfo whereas in Delphi it is
> PPTypeInfo. I'm not sure what is actually gained by this extra level of
> indirection but it exists none the less.

By Barry Kelly in comment :) :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3443097/what-is-the-identity-pointer-before-a-ttypeinfo-there-for

"all typeinfo fixups - pointers from one blob of typeinfo to another - are
of type PPTypeInfo, not PTypeInfo, to handle the dynamic linking case. In
the case of static linkage, there needs to be an intermediate pointer for
the convention to work, and part of the typeinfo itself makes as much sense
as any. That is to say, it's not there for the linker; it's there because
of the convention, and the convention is there because of dynamic linking,
which is done the way it is to maximize potential for page sharing."

Regards,
Maciej Izak (hnb)