[fpc-pascal] replacement of MemAvail and MaxAvail

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.out at telemetry.co.uk
Fri May 30 14:57:17 CEST 2014

On 30/05/2014 11:00, mokashe.ram wrote:
>   Thanks For Your This Prompt Reply...
> but in promgram these functions are already used in my applcation developed
> in TP7, sonow i am migration this applcation to free pascal. how can i
> replace using free pascal?

Don't. In the larger scale of things, people started to realise in the
1970s that application programs which had handled their own memory
management and possibly timesharing (e.g. APL on an IBM S/370) had to be
rewritten as soon as operating systems started to provide virtual memory.

The only reason this wasn't really seen on PCs was that the advent of
virtual memory was accompanied by a gross change in the overall
programming model, so very few people had to deal with unmodified DOS
programs suddenly behaving unpredictably when run on OS/2 or Windows.

So it's entirely in order to report e.g. the amount of heap currently
allocated for debugging purposes, but don't assume that there's a useful
fixed maximum.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk