[fpc-pascal] EpikTimer v1.0.1 released

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed May 28 14:09:33 CEST 2014

On 05/28/2014 02:00 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In that case some attention points:
> - help implementing and testing fine grained timings on *nix. Now it only has a special
>    case for linux.
> - Seems high precision is not used on anything but x86.
> - Is rdtsc safe for CPUs that can vary clock of cores independently like
>    Core Mono? What if the process changed  CPU to a different clocked core?

While I  of course see you point, besides high resolution, another
benefit of EpikTimer (at least on X86) is low overhead access to a time
source. And this is what makes it useful  for my needs.

Already the current version on X86 (at least on Linux 32 bit) it uses
the appropriate ASM instruction: Perfect (but supposedly some testing
regarding the  safety issue you state).

I suppose on any arch Linux vDSO could be used to provide both lowest
possible overhead and highest possible resolution. So this is what I
will try to do some day soon.

-Michael