[fpc-pascal] fpc in symlinked directory

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Mar 26 16:12:22 CET 2014

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:33:38 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>[...]
> >> So ? You just need to check the inode.
> >
> > Is there a function to list all files pointing to an inode?
>
> Actually, you just need to know if 2 filenames point to the same inode.

And what 2 files should I check? There are thousands of files in
the search path.
IMO we can shorten this: Going from logical to physical is easy,
going back is more difficult. It is more complicated than just checking
the inode. Especially if you want to do that on all thousands of
messages from the compiler. That's an implementation detail and
off-topic.

>[...]
> >> ? it IS the right file. It is the SAME file, after all.
> >
> > We could make a poll. I guess the majority expects that when the
> > IDE compiles /tmp/link/project1.pas then it should
> > work with /tmp/link/uni1.pas, not /somewhereelse/unit1.pas.
>
> I certainly don't, but I guess we differ in our view.
> See my other mail.

So, you would be happy, if the IDE opens /tmp/orig/unit1.pas instead
of /tmp/link/unit1.pas?

> >> [...]
> Let's say 90% of people use a screwdriver as a hammer.
> It doesn't make them right. It means 90% of people are abusing the screwdriver.

Well, bash is wrong, logical paths are wrong, sharing an include file is
wrong, ..., 90% are abusing the screwdriver. ;)
I guess we are getting off-topic.

Mattias