[fpc-pascal] Searching Text Files

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 09:59:06 CET 2014

Martin Collins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a little personal program in Lazarus that manages pdf files.
> One of the things I want to do is search for text/phrases within the
> pdfs. Has anybody tried to do this before and if so what is the best
> (easiest) way you've come across?
>
> I've detailed what I've been doing below, but this is for background
> information, as after messing about with it for a couple of days I am
> not so sure this is the most sensible way to go about this even if I can
> get it work. The awk count command detailed below was just me trying out
> a proof of concept and for the real search I was planning on it being
> slightly more sophisticated, but failed at the first hurdle!
>
> I will appreciate your opinions and experiences please. Many thanks.
>
> Martin Collins
>
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.2-5 [2013/07/25] for x86_64
> Lazurus SVN 1.3
> Awk - GNU Awk 4.0.1
>

> I'm using Linux and have access to all the opensource goodies that
> offers. I Googled for a pure pascal solution and did not find anything.
> So over the last couple of days I been experimenting with pdftotext and
> then awk on the text files, both executed through TProcess.

One minor warning for background. On a given distro, the PDF-related
utilities usually use a single underlying library. So if you come across
a situation where you're having problems extracting content, it can be
more useful to look at a system upgrade than spending time trying to
hack in updated versions of utilities such as pdftotext.

> Working on the bash command line awk is fine but it seems to play up
> when executed through TProcess. I think it's an awk (or stupid me)
> problem rather than a TProcess (note: I am an awk novice and not an
> experienced programmer in general!).
>
> The bash command line awk instruction (to count the number of search
> string instances) -
>
> awk '$1 ~ /searchstring/ {++c} END {print c}' FS=: textfile.txt
>
> In a simple pascal program to replicate the above, this works;

>     aString := 'awk ''$1 ~ /searchstring/ {++c} END {print c}'' FS=:
> textfile.txt';
>     AProcess.CommandLine := aString;
>     AProcess.Execute;

I'd suggest reading the file back into a stringlist, and manipulating it
in Pascal. There might be efficiency problems if you're dealing with
/really/ big files, but that way you'll be able to move forward and
backward in the file if you want context, have a chance at handling
UTF-8 properly and so on.

AWK was all very well when it was the only tool available, and I'm
generally defensive of Perl. But if the main program is already written
in Pascal you might as well use it for the text handling as well.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk