[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Paul Breneman Paul2006 at BrenemanLabs.com
Sun Mar 16 14:44:19 CET 2014

On 03/16/2014 03:45 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> My main specialty is communication software (
>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> I've not got a Nexus but I suggest looking to see whether whoever's made
> the adapter (using the FTDI chip) has given it a vid:pid that the OS
> doesn't recognise. I think that fiddling with kernel module parameters
> or editing the identifier info into a config file are beyond what the
> average user can be expected to do.
>
>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> Some patches for serial.pp were recently applied to 2.7.1. This is for
> low-level access and requires that you do the thread handling yourself,
> but doesn't require libc etc. It was tested on ARM Linux when written.
>
>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program
>> (for machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with
>> embedded Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that
>> is needed).

The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.  I'm
guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do more
testing.

About 7 years ago seeing you participating was what convinced me that
Free Pascal was worth trying on embedded systems, so thanks for your
help (again) Mark!  :)