[fpc-pascal] FPC for ARMv4

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Mar 7 12:03:52 CET 2014

On 05 Mar 2014, at 19:41, Jon wrote:

> I have a board running Linux - it reports itself as armv4tl:
>
> root at phidgetsbc:~# uname -a
> Linux phidgetsbc 3.1.6 #3 PREEMPT Fri Jan 6 13:05:50 MST 2012
> armv4tl GNU/Linux
>
> root at phidgetsbc:~# cat /etc/issue
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 \n \l
>

> After trying and failing to install a cross-compiler on my Linux x64
> system, I want to install FPC directly onto the system.
>
> Can you advise the best procedure. After downloading and installing
> fpc-2.6.2.arm-linux.tar I get errors:

That compiler is probably built for ARMv6, so it's normal that it
doesn't work on your system. Additionally, you first have to determine
the ABI in use on your system. To do so, run "objdump -p /bin/ls" and
have a look at the "private flags" section near the end.

If it contains "EABI", then you have to build an EABI cross-compiler
(compile the ARM compiler with -dFPC_ARMEL in the make OPT parameter),
otherwise you have to build an old ABI cross-compiler (compile the ARM
compiler with no specific parameters in the make OPT parameter, but
add -Cfsoft to CROSSOPT to ensure the created native compiler uses
software floating point).

Jonas