[fpc-pascal] FPC + Mobile development: the String type

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jul 10 10:50:35 CEST 2014

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:

> Anyway "forking" fpc in such a way seems catastrophic.

We are not forking anything. We only accept the directive, and we don't have a FM
in the first place to create a compatible fork.

> Regarding strings, there were several discussions to completely kill the
> "index" syntax for a strings. As  with an unknown encoding, the index
> does not make much sense, and, with certain frameworks (such as CIL)
> strings are unalterable and need to be recreated when modified (which
> seems to make sense performance-wise in some cases). IMHO, killing the
> index syntax would be more acceptable than modifying the meaning of a
> "visible" index into a string under the hood.

IMHO a substituting bad with worse is not a good reason. Java/CIL needs this
because its strings are immutable, and character access is expensive. We
don't share, nor plan to share that trait.