[fpc-pascal] ARM Linux crosscompiler: compiles but... executable gives segmentation fault

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 14:17:22 CET 2014

On 11/01/2014 14:03, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> Just type fpc -i to see the possible options. If one does not understand
> those options, one does not need them :)
I had a suspicion you were going to say that ;)

> As said, arm targets are very different and every target has its optimal
> parameters.
Exactly. Having some additional info IMO helps to at least verify the
choice somebody else made in his script/wiki page/build tool is correct ;)

> E.g. on my NAS running debian 6.0 I build for thumb with
> "CROSSOPT=-O4 -Cparmv5te -CIthumb"
> and for normal arm with
> "CROSSOPT=-O4 -Cparmv5te"
> Depending on the distro, one needs different -Fl switches etc. Not to
> talk about different OSes.
Yep. -Fl is covered in the cross compiling article, of course also in
the build faq.

> Yes. But in my opinion then this info should go to the raspi page. I bet
> 99% of the raspi users don't know what instruction set the raspi needs.
> So explaining that -Cparmv6 turns on armv6 code generation does not help
> them :)
Ehm, this is exactly why I didn't put it on the raspi page ;)... but a
link from there to the current page would be nice...

>> So when /is/ specifying the ABI needed? When supporting a microcontroller?
> Seriously: if you want to use an armel compiler to build e.g. for armhf.
Ok.

> But then you probably want to have also some other defines and you
> really have to know what you are doing. Or if you have a special armel
> setup where you want to use hard float code and abi for speed reasons,
> e.g. when having softfloat raspberry debian installed. But these are
> special setups, officially not supported.
Got it. Not interested in going that deep ;)