[fpc-pascal] Documentation, syntax diagrams

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jan 9 08:26:53 CET 2014

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

> Am 2014-01-08 21:12, schrieb Sven Barth:
>>> I don’t know whether the first 'type' is the standard type definition
>>> entry keyword but if so it should be typed in bold font.
>> No, it's not the keyword, it's a "reference" to the syntax diagram named
>> "type" directly below it (though I have to admit that this is not
> necessarily clear...).
>
> It seems that all syntax diagrams have the same issue:
>
> That what should be declared is repeated in the declaration
> itself which makes no sense to me.
> A syntax diagram for 'type declaration' (which is written in the heading
> already)

The heading is a caption.

In typesetting, normally that is not considered part of the diagram itself,
just like a table or figure caption is not considered part of the table or
figure.

>>> Where can I find the documentation for my original question about the
> double TYPE keyword?
>> This link explains it a bit:
> http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE5/en/Type_Compatibility_and_Identity
>
> But that's not part of the Free Pascal documentation.
> So it's not available in the documentation of Free Pascal?

As Sven surmised, it will be in the next version.
I posted a preview for your benefit, please see my initial answer.

Michael.