[fpc-pascal] Generic String Functions

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 28 14:16:37 CET 2014

On 02/28/2014 12:53 PM, Sven Barth wrote:

> Problem: there is (currently) no string type that can handle ANSI,
> UTF-8 and UTF-16 at once. The first two are handled by AnsiString and
> the third by UnicodeString. And those two are not equal which would be
> important for overrides/overloads/inheritance. Without that your whole
> idea is useless.

Of course this only is relevant when "New Delphi" (i.e. "partly"
dynamically encoded) Strings" are introduced (I decline to use the terms
"AnsiString" and "UnicodeString" due to ambiguity, unless it comes with
a clear definition close by).

Here, The Delphi model does not provide a String encoding type (and
appropriate "compiler magic") that can be used for that purpose (i.e.
"fully dynamically encoded").

Hence the fpc team _might_ decide to enhance the Delphi imposed model
appropriately and with that help the Lazarus team to provide a more
Delphi compatible - even though OS independent - API for the LCL.

-Michael