[fpc-pascal] Watching for file change

Sun Apr 13 17:57:36 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-12 20:16, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> No, the linux solution isn't distro dependent, since it's in the kernel.
> inotify came in 2005-ish to deprecate dnotify, but even dnotify still

OK, but does FCL include a cross-platform API that covers all platforms?

When I looked at this before (1.5 years ago) I couldn't find anything,
and I needed the file monitor functionality under several platforms
(MacOSX, FreeBSD, all Linux distros, Windows and RPi). So by
implementing a cross-platform solution in pure Object Pascal was just
way easier, and it worked everywhere first time round.

If FCL doesn't contain such a cross-platform API for this, then maybe
something could be implemented. Use "native" OS/Kernel API's where
support exists, and use the pure Object Pascal implementation as a fallback.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/