[fpc-pascal] FPCUP Windows now has Go32V2 cross compiling support

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Fri Sep 20 23:10:28 CEST 2013

On Fri, September 20, 2013 21:30, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Reinier Olislagers said:
>> > able to use not only the internal assembler but also internal linker
>> and
>> > thus these binutils are not used at all (unless also using -Xe).
>>
>> Hi Tomas,
>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> I've tested it with trunk. I've adapted fpcup to not error out if
>> those binutils are not found. Instead it writes a warning about 2.6.x
>> needing binutils.
>
> Note that despite internal assembler, one might still need GAS because of
> the startup code (Linux being a special case, having startup code in
> pascal)

True, that's a good point. Still, the linker from that package didn't work
for me with the 2.6.2 compiler (I haven't tried it with trunk, but it
might be broken there too).

Also, the linker included in the 2.15 build in contrib isn't compatible
with the command line syntax used by our compiler for the GO32v2 target
(as already mentioned in my yesterday's post). One possible option might
be to change the compiler in order not to generate link.res unless using a
DOS compiler or using -st option (assuming that this was a DJGPP extension
due to limited length of DOS command line). Another possibility might be
trying to get this option supported in standard binutils, but that would
be certainly a task for someone else than me. Or is there possibly an
option (e.g. some binutils Makefile directive) to get that ld option
enabled, so that just rebuilding binutils with that option would be
sufficient? Any thoughts?

Tomas