[fpc-pascal] lnet for TCP daemon

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Sep 18 10:05:33 CEST 2013

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:32:54 +0200
Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

>[...]
> It is really frustrating to see, that this now seems to solves the issue
> I am hunting for since some five years.

Has it ever come to your mind that "hunting" might not be sufficient to
create code?

> Over the time, there had been
> multiple discussions on this, initially in the fpc devel mailing list
> and later in the Lazarus devel mailing list. Up till now, I never was
> told "this already works" or "this is easy" (followed by a decent
> description - such as yours -  of CheckSynchronize()

See for example:
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2012-August/075593.html

> and
> WakeMainThread(). Instead I was told that I should look at the LCL
> source code and that "in Windows, the Event queuing mechanism is done by
> Windows itself  and in Linux it is done by a queue in the LCL that is
> managed by the underlying Widget Set".

This is true for PostMessage.

> This (some years ago) misled me
> to invest a considerable amount of time in unsuccessfully trying to
> strip off the GUI binding from an existing LCL Widget Type.

There are many ways to implement timers and queues. But if you want the
whole event system of the LCL then you need do more. Have you ever asked
how to program a timer in a console application on this list?

Mattias