[fpc-pascal] Re: weird compile error message

Xiangrong Fang xrfang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 03:13:19 CEST 2013

Hi Sven,

Additional note: The "PTree = ^TTree" in front of the "TTree" is wrong and
> only supported by pre-2.7.1 FPC by accident. The correct code would be:

I removed PTree yesterday and this problem is gone.  I now understand that
it is not necessary to define PTree as TTree is a pointer anyway.  However,
I don't understand why it is WRONG.  I mean, is the problem I reported
caused by this definition? If so, why it disappeared while the
debug-info-generation option is turned off?

Say, the following is normal in pascal:

type
  PMyRecord = ^TMyRecord;
  TMyRecord = record
      ... ...
  end;

Why it is wrong to define PTree = ^TTree?   Is it because that this kind of
pointer definition is:

   1. only valid for record, but not class?
   2. only valid for record and NON-generic class?

Xiangrong