[fpc-pascal] same routine with different parameters?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 29 18:56:10 CET 2013

Am 29.10.2013 18:21 schrieb "waldo kitty" <wkitty42 at windstream.net>:

> question: in simple language, how can i have a routine with differing
parameters like some routines in FPC and Lazarus do? i've never attempted
this before and it is completely alien to my experience but i do use the
functionality quite a lot with existing routines...

to be able to pass no or different parameters to.

> example:  procedure MyObject.MyRoutine;
>           procedure MyObject.MyRoutine(VarA : SomeType);
>           procedure MyObject.MyRoutine(VarA : string; VarB: integer);
>
> at one point, the first instance would be used... at another point one of
the other instances would be used with the only difference being the
parameters that are passed or not... i know that i would have individual
instances with the necessary header and code for each... i just don't know
if there is anything else special that needs to be done or if it can be
done with an internal class object routine..

The most important point to keep in mind us that the parameters need to be
different (the result type does not count though!). And you should be
careful if you decide to additionally use default parameters for overloaded
functions.
Note: In mode Delphi and a few other cases (e.g. cross unit overloads,
inheritance) you'll need to add the "overload" directive.

For additional information please look at the language reference guide
(can't look up the link currently).

Regards,
Sven