[fpc-pascal] Argument evaluation order in Free Pascal and Delphi

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 29 09:44:49 CET 2013

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 29.10.2013 08:35 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:
> >

> > On Mon, 28 Oct 2013, Dmitry Pribysh wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As it is written in Free Pascal wiki, order of parameter evaluation is not defined in FPC, but it is defined in Delphi
> (Delphi
> >> guarantees left-to-right evaluation order).
> >

> > Strange. Where is that documented ?
>
> We document it ourselves here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Code_Conversion_Guide#Order_of_parameter_evaluation

This I know, I meant where is the delphi documentation of left-to-right evaluation order ?

> The Delphi documentation is however rather vague:
> http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE5/en/Procedures_and_Functions#Calling_Conventions

I know this, and it says explicitly

"For the register and pascal conventions, the evaluation order is not defined."

Which is why I thought the original poster's statement to be wrong.

But maybe Delphi changed since I last read that, but apparently not.

Michael.