[fpc-pascal] Could use some help with DOS cross compile

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 28 15:52:36 CET 2013

On 10/28/2013 01:19 PM, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 20/10/2013 13:27, Nikolay Nikolov wrote:
>> On 10/20/2013 01:56 PM, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> Trying to create dos cross compiler using FPC trunk x86 r25833, Windows
>> Why are you using
>>
>> OPT=-gw2 -gl
>>
>> I'm not sure these work at all. Debugging info for i8086 is not
>> implemented and when it is, I doubt it would be in dwarf format :)
> Hmmm... looking at commit
> 25874 tell wlink to add dwarf debug info to the executable when -gw2/3/4
> is used
> I have to wonder what's going on ;)
Turns out that the Open Watcom compiler, linker and debugger support
DWARF debug info in 16-bit DOS executables:

http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Debugging_Format_Interoperability

The way they do it is by appending an ELF image, containing only the
debug info after the MZ executable. Since FPC already supports DWARF,
I'm planning to try to get it working for DOS. (Note that, even though I
already enabled it, it doesn't work yet.)

Nikolay