[fpc-pascal] Proper way to cast dynamic array in watch window?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sun Nov 10 06:57:33 CET 2013

Using the FPC console IDE.  When I define a typed array with limits, ie.:

type
   tbarray=array[0..1023] of byte;
var
   foo:tbarray;

...I can view the contents of in the watch window (like "foo[2]")
without problems.  But if I define it as a dynamic array:

type
   tbarray=array of byte;
var
   foo:tbarray;
setlength(foo,1024);

...then trying to view the array ("foo[2]") in the watch window shows up
as "Cannot perform pointer math on incomplete types, try casting to a
known type, or void *".  I've tried casting like byte(foo[2]) and
byte^(foo[2]) but I must be doing it wrong as those aren't working.

What is the proper way to cast dynamic arrays so that I can inspect them
in the watch window?
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/