[fpc-pascal] Re: [FPC 0024437]: can not build RTL with 2.7.1 compiler

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu May 16 19:36:27 CEST 2013

On 16 May 2013, at 19:31, Vincent Snijders wrote:

>> (0067718) Vincent Snijders (manager) - 2013-05-16 18:39
>> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=24437#c67718
>> That compiler is too old, it should be the same revision as the RTL source.

>> (0067719) Jonas Maebe (manager) - 2013-05-16 18:57
>> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=24437#c67719
>> No, the starting compiler is too new. Compiling a new compiler directly
>> using an
>> old compiler and old RTL (in order to then compile the new RTL with the
>> resulting compiler) is not supported either.
>>
>> The only procedure that has always been supported and always only will be
>> supported is a "make all" in the top level FPC directory starting with the
>> latest release.
>>

> Compiling the RTL of revision 24514 with a compiler of revision 24514 is
> supported, isn't it?

Yes, but your message could be interpreted as suggesting that this person, who was clearly calling Makefiles in subdirectories directly rather than using the top-level Makefile, should have first compiled the new compiler directly, and then compile the new RTL using this new compiler. Given the amazingly creative ways in which people manage to keep trying to compile FPC in unsupported ways, I did not want anyone to get the idea that this would be a good approach.

Jonas