[fpc-pascal] Win64 release of FPC 2.6.2 missing

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon May 6 18:40:06 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-06 08:32, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> The whole point is that the "typical end user" doesn't know nor should
> have to care about whether the compiler is a 32 or 64 bit binary. It
> should not make any difference whatsoever.

How does the saying go: "I want to live in Theory, because everything
works in theory." ;-)

And since when is a developer a "typical end user"?

If I run 64-bit Mac or 64-bit Windows or 64-bit Linux, I want 64-bit
applications. Some OS's allow for easier execution of 32-bit apps, but
definitely not all. All my systems run 64-bit OS's, and all my installed
libraries etc are 64-bit too (think Firebird, etc). 32-bit executables
cannot load 64-bit libraries, so I need 64-bit executables.

To put it simply, that is the reason I (and many others) need a 64-bit
FPC. I've had lots of bad experiences with FPC cross-compilers - from
installing headaches, to broken executables (don't ask me why, I don't
know why). So I simply don't trust FPC cross-compliers. This is why I
have various build systems in VM's for all our supported platforms.

And if FPC developers have to download Lazarus setups (a product not
actually part of Free Pascal), just to get the FPC they want, that
should say something to the Free Pascal team too. Release what the
public wants.

And just to make it clear... it was NOT my idea to release my build of
FPC 2.6.4 for 64-bit Windows. I was asked in private to archive what I
have and make it available for download (on my own server). That is what
I did.

Regards,
  - Graeme -