[fpc-pascal] Win64 release of FPC 2.6.2 missing

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu May 2 14:13:44 CEST 2013

On 02 May 2013, at 11:07, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2013-05-02 09:43, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>> Lazarus and 64-bit FPC 2.6.0. I didn't want to read 10's of pages
>>> on how to setup a cross compiler etc.
>>
>> You don't have to read anything, it works exactly the same as a
>> regular compiler. Lazarus nor the compiler cares at all about what
>> architecture the compiler binary is.
>
> I did initially try to use it with Lazarus IDE. I setup Lazarus IDE by
> pointing it to the cross-compiler, then tried to compile my project.
> It
> failed - can't remember the error. In hindsight, it was probably
> because
> I failed to specify a Target and OS platform in the "Project
> Options|Compiler Settings" - not sure.

Since the cross-compiler is the only official Win64 compiler we
distribute, I'd assume more people would have problems with it if it
wouldn't work out of the box with Lazarus.

>> The Mac OS X 64-bit compilers are also cross-compilers (although the
>> x86-64 binaries are actually a bit faster on Mac OS X, but it reduces
>
> Any thoughts on why it is slower on Linux and Windows then? It is
> just a
> lack of compiler optimisation?

I don't know whether it's slower on Linux. In any case, a major
difference between Mac OS X and the other platforms is the on Mac OS
X, several performance-critical RTL routines are mapped to the system
C library, whose routines are tuned specifically for the cpu of the
current machine on Mac OS X (and which are in general probably also
more optimised than the routines which we have in our RTL).
Codegeneration-wise there is virtually no difference between Linux and
Mac OS X on x86-64. Win64 uses a different ABI, but I don't know
whether it is (much) less efficient.

Jonas