[fpc-pascal] Win64 release of FPC 2.6.2 missing

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu May 2 10:43:25 CEST 2013

On 02 May 2013, at 09:04, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 02/05/13 01:33, Joao Morais wrote:
>>
>> Why do you need a 64 bit compiler? (just curious)
>
> Huh? Because I was running 64-bit Windows 7, and needed to test and
> resolve a 64-bit bug. My system was already setup with 64-bit Lazarus
> and 64-bit FPC 2.6.0. I didn't want to read 10's of pages on how to
> setup a cross compiler etc.

You don't have to read anything, it works exactly the same as a regular compiler. Lazarus nor the compiler cares at all about what architecture the compiler binary is.

> Not to mention I have never had great
> success (buggy end results) with cross-compilers in the past (though
> that experience was all under Linux).

Maybe you tried to build and install them yourself? Cross-building the compiler and its packages itself can indeed be somewhat more complicated than building a native compiler.

> I personal opinion is that even though a 64-bit FPC under Windows might
> not be as fast as a 32-bit FPC. They [the FPC team] introduce an
> unnecessary stumbling block for those wanting to create 64-bit apps.
> Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX all have official 64-bit versions of the FPC
> compiler.

The Mac OS X 64-bit compilers are also cross-compilers (although the x86-64 binaries are actually a bit faster on Mac OS X, but it reduces the packaging and testing burden).

Jonas