[fpc-pascal] Re: Feature proposal: function-based assignment operatorst

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 29 11:56:31 CET 2013

Am 29.03.2013 10:53 schrieb "Jürgen Hestermann" <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de>:

> Am 2013-03-29 10:35, schrieb Sven Barth:
>
>> We value backwards compatiblity very high and this is part of it, no
matter whether these c-like operators are considered good or bad...

> But that's not the point here. The problem has nothing to do with
backward compatibility.

I am talking about the C operators here as the compiler supports them. As
Florian wrote they were contributed in '96, so they are part of FPC's
heritage and thus they are object to the same backwards compatibility
protection as any other feature we currently support (bugs in those
features excluded).

Also I've answered to a "threat" to this protection by leledumbo.

And I agree with you that this proposal of function based operators is
un-Pascal-ish and thus I won't support them either.

Regards,
Sven