[fpc-pascal] Windows on ARM, how fast it can be implemented?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 26 17:05:11 CET 2013

Am 26.03.2013 15:01 schrieb "Max Vlasov" <max.vlasov at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> It was long time ago this post was sent.
> A platform appeared closed by design
> But since RT platform was jailbroken (
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092158), I'm curious
whether compiling into ARM Exe would work out of the box or will require
some change on the compiler side?

Disclaimer: Microsoft had responded that they don't guarantee that the
jailbreak will continue to work in future builds (and they congratulated
the developer that discovered the hack ^^)

That said it mostly depends on how much Microsoft changed their existing
ARM compiler. If the changes are minimal for the purpose of user space
applications then it should be rather easy to adjust the Win32 target for
this. The biggest problem might be unaligned accesses in the Win32 RTL
code, but AFAIK newer ARMs can handle these...

If you own a Windows RT device and are willing to jailbreak it, I could try
to hack arm-win32 support together for you to test, but finegrained bug
fixing (if the port should indeed work) needs to be done by someone owning
the device.

Regards,
Sven