[fpc-pascal] [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Rainer Stratmann RainerStratmann at t-online.de
Fri Mar 15 09:30:42 CET 2013

Am Friday 15 March 2013 01:27:51 schrieb Roberto P.:
> Thanks a lot for your comments, very interesting indeed.
> Can you make a comparison against FPC target-embedded ?
FPC target-embedded is very complicated to install (Linux development
computer).
> I routinely write in C for the microcontrollers I use, but now with ARM
> Cortex M3 I could try Pascal.
For 32 bit ARM I would try to use freepascal.
I got it work somehow.
> I'm just a little afraid of the potentially limited maturity of these.
What do you mean exactly with that?

Am Friday 15 March 2013 07:48:25 schrieb Michael Ring:
> I also like their products, especially the development boards are very
> well designed. The IDE+debugger is nice & complete and the support fo
> the software is also very good.
Yes, they are busy with that stuff. And have a relatively good marketing
(important to earn money).
> The things I do not like are that you have to buy a license for each
> compiler family (PIC, PIC16, PIC 32, ARM),
> the compiler parser sometimes
> is a little odd
yes
> and, most important for me, they do not support objects
> and have no plans to do so.
But for little projects (AVR 8 bit controllers) this is the best choice.
> When you can live without objects a good choice, when you need objects
> then freepascal is your choice.
In general for 32 bit ARM I would choose freepascal.