[fpc-pascal] differences between .pp and .pas files

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 14:52:34 CET 2013

On 2013-02-25 05:34, Eric Kom wrote:

> Please what is a difference between .pp and .pas files extension?

And what is interesting, is that FP Text IDE (which looks like Turbo
Pascal IDE) defaults to the .pas extension when creating new units. You
would think being so closely related to Free Pascal (only official FPC
ide, and created with Free Vision) that it would then use the .pp free
pascal extension, but it doesn't. I'm not complaining, just making an
observation [I prefer .pas as stated  earlier].

Anyway, as we have established, there is no real difference or major
pros or cons either way. Only a minor cons is that .pp is fairly
unknown, so file association of *.pp and thus syntax highlighting isn't
available by default, for many other editors in the wild.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/