[fpc-pascal] Re: Connecting to Firebird using FPC/Lazarus over a LAN with user creation privilege

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 15:17:02 CET 2013

On 9-3-2013 14:08, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I don't know whether anybody can help me with this one, but I'm working
> on something where I need a program to be able to create login-capable
> database users on-the-fly. I was hoping to be able to use either
> PostgreSQL or Firebird as the backend, but while Postgres is working
> fine Firebird is proving to be sufficiently difficult that I might just
> drop it.

<snip>
> Unfortunately I'm having a lot of difficulty doing this under program
> control, with the obvious difference being that FPC/Lazarus is
> connecting via a socket.
>
> Has anybody had anything like this working in the past?

I've written a demo application that:
uses regular TIBConnection and SQL commands to
1. create a new db on a server
2. create a user with GRANT ADMIN ROLE and full control over the new db

Source:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero/fpc_laz_patch_playground/downloads/firebirduser.zip
and in the fpc_laz_patch_playground repository itself (directory fbcreatedb)

Comments welcome.