[fpc-pascal] Get variable name at runtime

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 13:39:59 CET 2013

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Darius Blaszyk said:
>> Here's why :)
>>
>> Unfortunately pascal macro's are rather limited compared to C. I know I know, you could potentially open up a can of worms, but sometimes more control is required.
>
> There is nothing restraining anybody using an external macro processor. It
> is just that we don't want to support it :-)

Actually, I'd suggest that there is: the difficulty of integrating an
external macro processor with the standard build process (i.e. it's not
just another stage in a makefile).

I've had to deal with colleagues in the past who thought it was entirely
acceptable to make manual edits to compiler output (typically on Intel
blue boxes) before running it through the assembler, and it's very high
on my list of Thou Shalt Nots.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk