[fpc-pascal] Bootstrap binaries

Joao Morais jcmoraisjr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:54:41 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> In our previous episode, Joao Morais said:
>> How ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.6.2/bootstrap
>> like lists are built? I missed at least i386-linux and i386-win32
>> binaries.
>
> They are simply the compiler binary extracted from the release in a bzipped
> format.

Which is a big plus compared with ~50MB packages. Such packages help
in creating a maintainable snapshot environment from scratch.

> Win32/64 in particular is useless, since there you need the binutils in the
> release package anyway.

Because of that I also maintain a checkout of fpcbuild/install/binwXX
of the current release under Windows.

Btw the win binaries are harder to take, since they are installers and
afaics the compiler cannot be extracted without executing the
installation process.

Joao Morais