[fpc-pascal] unicode rtl branch state

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Jul 30 10:12:22 CEST 2013

On 29 Jul 2013, at 14:52, ko paka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask state of implementation unicode rtl - if I has figured
> it correctly it is developed in branches/unicode. When I try to compile it
> (with fpc release 2.6.2) and use define FPC_UNICODE_RTL, I will get errors
> like:
> variant.inc(82,10) Error: Illegal type conversion: "Text" to "TextRec"
> variant.inc(84,15) Error: Constant and CASE types do not match
> etc .....
>
> Am I doing something wrong or it is just too erly to try it ?

If you want to use that define, you have to first build that branch normally and then build it again with with the newly built compiler. Note that it contains many bugs and will generally not work correctly if you use ansistrings whose encoding is different from the default system code page (or if you change defaultsystemcodepage to something different from its initial value).

I've been working on fixing those bugs and implementing the changes from that branch also for other OSes. You can find that work in the cpstrrtl branch. The main thing still missing from that branch compared to the unicode branch is support for arbitrary string code pages and unicodestrings in findfirst/findnext and some default unicode type definitions in the Windows unit when compiler with -dFPC_UNICODE_RTL.

Jonas