[fpc-pascal] Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Kenneth Cochran kenneth.cochran at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 21:41:21 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Kenneth Cochran
> <kenneth.cochran at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have
> > a ballpark guess as to how much effort would it take to extend the
> tooltip
> > for the component pallet to display the <short> tag from the FPDoc info?
>
> The hint is set in unit ide/ComponentPalette, line 744 in Lazarus trunk.
> I don't have details for getting the FPDoc info but you can study the
> code yourself. It is used for example in the Object Inspector's
> Information Box below the properties.
> I don't think the feature requires much code once you have figured out
> where to get the needed data. This is typical in a big project. A
> commit with only few lines of code has required many hours of studying
> the existing code.

Yea, I found TComponentPalette.UpdateNotebookButtons on my own in a round
about way. I  set a breakpoint in TControl.SetHint and launched an instance
of the IDE with the debugger attached. After a half dozen hits I was into
the pallet speedbuttons and checked the call stack.

Now I'm trying to track down how the source editor invokes FPDoc support
when you hover over an identifier. A search for FPDoc in the source turned
up the CodeHelp unit. Anyone know if I'm on the right track?