[fpc-pascal] Free pascal 1.0.6

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Jul 14 00:22:33 CEST 2013

On Sat, July 13, 2013 13:26, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 13.07.2013 01:29, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>> On Fri, July 12, 2013 20:33, Sven Barth wrote:
 .
 .
>>> If it is really the first case then I don't really see anything that
>>> would not work with 2.6.2 that did work in 1.0.6... (except it's
>>> something that relies on implementation details)
>>
>> Well, I could imagine some potentially relevant cases:
 .
 .
>> 2) Code using lots of assembly and expecting the original calling
>> convention (this falls into your category of "implementation details",
>> but
>> it's an understandable one if it involves large amount of code which
>> would
>> need to be not only modified but possibly also debugged thoroughly
>> because
>> there are more differences than just the way of passing variables - in
>> particular ebx needs to be saved). Although in that case 1.0.10 should
>> be
>> a better option than 1.0.6 - unless the original poster has 1.0.6 only
>> and
>> not 1.0.10 (in the situation when we do not offer this version for
>> download any longer, but I could imagine that finding both would be
>> still
>> possible).
>
> Isn't the old calling convention available as "oldfpccall" anyway?

It is, but this may not be sufficient. First, I don't know if ebx is saved
automatically in such a case (it might be, but such a requirement didn't
exist at 1.0.x times). Second, it might get even trickier if there is code
in assembly calling Pascal code (e.g. standard RTL functions) again.

Sorry, I know that it's possible to check what happens in such cases, but
I'd need cross-compiler for i386 hosted on armel-qnx (anyone considering
such target? ;-) ) right now. I guess that it doesn't matter too much
since it was just speculation anyway.

Tomas