[fpc-pascal] Free pascal 1.0.6

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Jul 13 01:29:45 CEST 2013

On Fri, July 12, 2013 20:33, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 11.07.2013 22:14, Matúš Kudláč wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>>      I want to use Free Pascal 1.0.6 in windows XP Professional 32bit. I
>> know to ask some questions about that. Are there some stability problems
>> with that version(compiler, IDE, debugger, ...)? If there are can I make
>> some changes to make it stable(for example to edit the properties of the
>> shortcut).
>
> Others asked you this already, but just to be on the safe side: Do you
> really mean Free Pascal 1.0.6 as released ten years ago or do you mean
> Lazarus 1.0.6 (which uses Free Pascal 2.6.2) as released a few weeks ago?
>
> If it is really the first case then I don't really see anything that
> would not work with 2.6.2 that did work in 1.0.6... (except it's
> something that relies on implementation details)

Well, I could imagine some potentially relevant cases:

1) Necessity to work with a closed source unit compiled with that version
(or unit to which the original sources are lost, which is almost the same
;-) ).

2) Code using lots of assembly and expecting the original calling
convention (this falls into your category of "implementation details", but
it's an understandable one if it involves large amount of code which would
need to be not only modified but possibly also debugged thoroughly because
there are more differences than just the way of passing variables - in
particular ebx needs to be saved). Although in that case 1.0.10 should be
a better option than 1.0.6 - unless the original poster has 1.0.6 only and
not 1.0.10 (in the situation when we do not offer this version for
download any longer, but I could imagine that finding both would be still
possible).

Obviously, these are just random shots and pure speculation - the poster
clearly stated that he didn't want to disclose the reasons.

Tomas